U.S. Representative Benjamin G. Harris, tried and convicted by military court for harboring paroled confederate soldiers. Historic St. Mary's City, Saint Mary's City: Hours, Address, Historic St. Mary's City Reviews: 4.5/5. Its county seat is Leonardtown. Landing of settlers at St. Clement's Island (Maryland Day). Naval Air Station Patuxent River opened in St. Mary's County. Three were awarded the U. S. Medal of Honor for bravery. 1785, March 11. As in the Revolutionary War, the British invaded and continuously raided the area. 1865, May. P.O. The capital was later moved to its permanent home in Annapolis. In desperation, barges were loaded with explosives and floated at night into the anchored British ships. 1776, July 17. Lord Dunmore (1732-1809), last royal governor of Virginia, and his British fleet reached St. George Island, but were prevented from crossing to mainland by Maryland militia under command of Capt. Products Sort By Product ↑ Product ↓ Price ↑ Price ↓ Default ↑ Default ↓ Sales ↑ Sales ↓ Per Page 3 6 9 12 15 18 21 24 27 30 View All When this material is used, in whole or in part, proper citation and credit must be attributed to the Maryland State Archives. The Commissioners of St. Mary's County continue to conduct important County business following social distancing guidelines and tele/videoconference. Many enslaved Americans fled to the British including over forty from Sotterley Plantation. Parliamentary commissioners displaced proprietary regime. Tobacco was prosperous for many farmers which allowed them to purchase land and build large plantation homes such as Sotterley Plantation. St. Mary's Female Seminary reformed as St. Mary's Seminary Junior College. St. Mary’s County, MD Vital Records. Current Statistics: General Assembly ordered consolidation of free schools in Charles, Prince George's, and St. Mary's Counties into Charlotte Hall School (1774-1976), to be constructed at Coole Springs in St. Mary's County. Potomac River dory boats built in St. Mary's County. The two ships landed on St. Clement’s Island in March of 1634. 1654, Oct. 20 General Assembly established Court in St. Mary's County. Rezin Beall. Rights assessment, and full originating source citation, is the responsibility of the user. 1814, June 1-10. The island was small, so the ships traveled further south. This web site is presented for reference purposes under the doctrine of fair use. There is a fee for each copy requested. St. Mary's City, established March 27, 1634, served as capital of Maryland. St. Mary’s County’s lost some 2,000 men, 40% of its labor force during the Revolutionary War. St. Mary’s County is situated on a peninsula in Southern Maryland with over 500 miles of shoreline on the Patuxent River, Potomac River and Chesapeake Bay. Religious toleration law (An Act concerning Religion) enacted. British raid at Breton Bay. Charlotte Hall School, delayed by American Revolution and economic depression, completed and opened. Southern Maryland was originally inhabited by Piscataway Indians. The Historical Society of Carroll County has resources to assist in a genealogical search including some records from St. Mary's Church . Early St. Mary’s County families who settled in Maryland beginning in 1634/4, some arriving on the Ark and Dove, and who then resettled in Northumberland (later Westmoreland) County, Virginia, were closely associated and/or acquainted with Combs &c families and their neighbors.Following are records for BROOKE, WICKLIFFE/WHITCLIFFE, BALDRIDGE, BROWN, WASHINGTON, COLE, … Two monuments located outside Point Lookout were erected to honor confederate prisoners who died there. 1846, Feb. 25. The St. Mary's County Historical Society was established in 1951 preserving the history and culture of Maryland's Mother County. Joshua Barney's Chesapeake Flotilla skirmished with British naval forces off Cedar Point and St. Jerome's Creek; British raided surrounding areas. 1694/5, Feb. Capital moved from St. Mary's City to Anne Arundel Town (now Annapolis). Sir Lionel Copley, appointed 1st Royal Governor of Maryland by William III and Mary II on March 12, 1691, arrived. The Southern Maryland Chronicle(SoMDC) is an all-digital news source for SoMD. 1830, Sept. 20. It was also here that the nation’s first astronauts were trained. First Capital of MD 1945, June 16. The facility was named Hammond Hospital. They are paid $1 per pound of tobacco based on their average crop for 10 years. Kent Hall, St. Mary's College of Maryland, St. Mary's City, Maryland, May 2009. 1994. 1836. 1634-1694. The SMCM archives provide for the acquisition, organization, description, preservation, and availability of unique materials documenting the history of the school as well as the history of Southern Maryland, particularly St. Mary’s County. Governor Leonard Calvert surveyed and patented 100-acre plot of land, thereafter known as Governor's Field, for tobacco plantation at St. Mary's City. St. Mary’s County is the birthplace of Maryland. St. Mary's County, Maryland Genealogy, History and Facts (Genealogy Inc) "St. Mary's Co.," in Genealogical Sources in Periodicals at The Maryland State Archives. Sentence later remitted by President Andrew Johnson. St. Mary’s City is located in St. Mary’s County, on the western shore of Maryland. : 1692-1824 Family History Library Burials from tombstones, grave markers and church registers of St. Mary's County, Maryland (1634-1994) Family History Library Box 653 41770 Baldridge Street Leonardtown, MD 20650 (301) 475-4200 Maryland Relay dial 7-1-1 St. Mary's Seminary Junior College reorganized as St. Mary's College of Maryland. 1638. St. Mary’s County vital records can be found at the Maryland Office of Vital Records has copies of birth and death records from August 1898, has marriage records from January 1990 and has divorce records from January, 1992. Cornerstone of third Courthouse laid at Leonard Town. George Calvert died before he was able to see his idea come to life. Beitzell, Edwin Warfield, 1905-View full catalog record. Photo by Diane F. Evartt. 1654, Dec. 5. 1977, Dec. 17. Maryland Assembly bought former Calvert House, thereafter called Country's House, for use as State House. 1814, July 30. The Jesuit missions of St. Mary's County, Maryland. Barges would travel up and down the waterways of the county transporting supplies. Benjamin Hance lynched in Leonardtown. This is a wonderful historic site, preserving the history and stories of Maryland's first capital and those who lived and worked there. Amish family, horse, & buggy on Route 5 south of Hughesville, Maryland, November 2017. History, information, pictures, location, and GPS coordinates of the Piney Point Lighthouse in Maryland. Take a relaxing walk all thru the site. We have continually served the citizens of St. Mary's County during the past five centuries. During the War of 1812, the Chesapeake Bay was an important theater of war. 1634, March 25. During this time, the area’s rivers played a major role in plantation life as these were the highways of that era. 1649, April 21. St. Mary’s College of Maryland Archives. Based on the 2010 census, the population was 105,151. St. Mary’s County had over 200 technology companies and is steadily expanding these numbers each year. Colonial life was difficult, but settlers soon began to grow tobacco, which became the lifeblood of the colony. Golden Beach; Town. The people of St. Mary's County have been making history since the Ark and Dove arrived from England in 1634. 1641, Aug. 13. Piney Point Lighthouse, first lighthouse on Potomac River, was built by John Donahoo at Piney Point. Amish families from Bird-in-Hand (Lancaster County), Pennsylvania, move to St. Mary's County. Construction on Secretary's Office or Council Chamber (later Van Swearingen Ordinary), St. Mary's City, probably begun by this date. 1977. Calvert party celebrated Feast of Annunciation (March 25); later purchased land from Yaocomaco tribe, and built "Fort at St. Mary's City.". Farmers participating in the buyout looked for alternative crops such as bedding plants, produce, and corn. 1814, Aug. 2. St. Mary’s City is on the St. Mary’s River, which flows into the Potomac River. Emails may be submitted to email@example.com. PLEASE NOTE: The site may contain material from other sources which may be under copyright. Southern Maryland Higher Education Center authorized to serve St. Mary's, Calvert and Charles counties. These included nancys, dories, skiffs, log canoes, skipjacks, bugeyes, and pungies. 1-800-327-9023, Maryland Public Television – Exploring Maryland’s Roots, Unified Committee for African American History. 1735, Nov. 8. Tobacco was a labor-intensive crop linked closely with the development of slavery in Maryland. Get this Book. Margaret Brent (1601-1671) denied right to vote in General Assembly. 1796. 1831, Aug. 6. Leonardtown, Colored Troops regiments and fought against the Confederate army. First General Assembly (law-making assembly of freemen) met at St. Mary's City. 1698, Oct. 20. The British Navy used it as its base to launch assaults on Washington and on Baltimore. 1861, Summer. Electronic voting system used during primary elections at polling places and for absentee ballots in all counties and Baltimore City. Naval Air Test Center established at Patuxent River. Naval Air Test Center established at Patuxent River. The St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office can trace its history to Sheriff James Baldridge in 1637. 1943, April 1. c.1880. 123115 Leonard Hall Dr. St. Mary's City (also known as Historic St. Mary's City) is a former colonial town that was Maryland's first European settlement and capital. By the end of July, Lord Dunmore realized that using the island as a base of operations in the Chesapeake Bay was on shaky ground and at the beginning of August his fleet quit the Island. Less than a year after the arrival of the first patients at the hospital, the Union decided to establish a prisoner of war camp there and they named it Camp Hoffman. Act directed former State House at St. Mary's City to be used for County Courthouse and Church. 1639. The waterman population has also decreased. In the summer of 1857, William Cost Johnson had purchased 400 acres of land at Point Lookout for a resort. Box 653 Details About St. Mary’s Saint Mary's County Parent places: Maryland; Related places: City. George Calvert petitioned King Charles I in the early 1600s for a land grant to establish a new colony. Discover the past of Saint Mary's County on historical maps Browse the old maps. 1814, Aug. 11-12. St. Mary's County Genealogical Society in Leonardtown, St. Mary's County, Maryland. 1851, Nov. 13. At same time, it operated as an ordinary, a government-regulated inn or tavern, in order to maintain building. Tobacco plantations flourished in southern Maryland during slavery.With a slave economy during the American Civil War, regional white sympathie… Maryland 1949. Protestant Associators under John Coode overthrew proprietary officers. Governor's residence in St. Mary's City, Calvert House, completed by this time and Assembly began to meet at that location. Black Countians, both slave and free, joined the U.S. 1964. Maryland German Church Records, Volume 7 Saint Mary's Church Silver Run, Carroll County Lutheran Records 1784 - 1863 Reformed Records 1812 - 1866 (119 pages) Copies of this publication may be obtained from the Date of event: Saturday, March 7, 2020. Find in a library; Download this page (PDF) Download left page (PDF) Download right page (PDF) St. Mary's County first cited in provincial records; named in honor of Mary, the mother of Jesus. Saint Mary's County, Maryland pre-1805 Marriage Records (Source: Genealogy Trails History Group) St. Mary's County Vital Records (Source: Vital Records Information for the United States) United States Census (Mortality Schedule), 1850 St. Mary's County (Source: FamilySearch) Wiki . 2004, March 2. 1852. Leonardtown; Old Maps Online. State House of 1676, Historic St. Mary's City, St. Mary's City, Maryland, May 2009. James Thomas (1785-1845), Governor of Maryland, born at De La Brooke Manor, in Oraville. Saint Mary's County (often abbreviated as St. Mary's County), established in 1637, is a county located in the state of Maryland. 1814, Summer. Seymour Town, formerly Newtown, established as new county seat at Shepherd's Old Fields. In July of 1776, the residents of St. Mary’s County were confronted with the reality of war when a British fleet of 72 ships made an unexpected appearance off Point Lookout. Marriage data from all known sources, including official, church, newspapers, and inferred data from probate court and other sources, have been compiled and published in Marriages and Deaths in St. Mary's County, Md. Slot machines allowed by law in St. Mary's County (Chapter 32, Acts of 1947 Special Session). 1864, April 9. Legislation passed to outlaw slot-machine gambling. 1840, March 4. It is now a large, state-run historic area, which includes a reconstruction of the original colonial settlement, and a living history area and museum complex. Student Project Registration for St. Mary's County History Day. About this Book. For centuries, fishing the surrounding waters of the Patuxent and Potomac Rivers and the Chesapeake Bay were the waterman’s means of survival. Many prominent plantations along the banks of the waterways were all targets of unrelenting plundering. In addition to tobacco farming, making a living off the water was a traditional way of life in St. Mary’s County. Photo by Diane F. Evartt. Photo by Diane F. Evartt. 1685, Aug. 31. U.S. George Calvert petitioned King Charles I in the early 1600s for a … The property was eventually turned over to the United States Government for a military hospital. The St. Mary’s County militia harassed the British landing parties. 1652, March 29. Photo by Diane F. Evartt. U.S. Union prison camp at Point Lookout established for Confederate prisoners. 1901, Oct. Fourth Courthouse at Leonardtown completed. Slave Statistics of St. Mary's County Maryland 1864 by Agnes Callum. St. Mary's Seminary incorporated as St. Mary's Female Seminary. 1943, April 1. British occupied Blackistone Island. Here's a look at St. Mary's County's rich history. St. Mary's County, Maryland St. Mary's County Education, Geography, and History. Amish family, horse, & buggy on Route 5 south of Hughesville, Maryland, November 2017. The fleet was under the command of John Murray, Earl of Dunmore and former Royal Governor of Virginia. St. Mary’s County is the birthplace of Maryland. 1634/5, Feb. 26. 1863. 1695, May 20. Title Page Table of Contents Introduction First Page Index: The three-hundred and sixty-ninth volume of the Archives of Maryland series was originally published in 1993. St. Mary's County Historical Society, Leonardtown. 1976, Dec. WMDM in Lexington Park began to broadcast on 97.7 FM. 1728, Oct. General Assembly authorized Leonard Town to be built at former Seymour Town. State of Maryland bought Charlotte Hall Military Academy property. In November 1633, Cecilius Calvert sent his brothers George & Leonard Calvert, along with 140 passengers aboard the Ark and the Dove bound for Maryland. Leonard Calvert bought about 30 miles of land below the Wicomico River from the Yaocomaco Indians with bolts of fabric, axes, and other farm tools. 1637. First Maryland county to be created. St. Mary's County Government. Timeline Attributes. Blackistone Island (St. Clement's Island) Lighthouse completed. 1710, Oct. First log Courthouse opened at Seymour Town. St. Mary's County Genealogical Society Celebrating Over 30 years of Studying Family History. Early St. Mary’s County. The county seat was moved to Leonardtown. Courthouse, 41605 Courthouse Drive, Leonardtown, Maryland, May 2009. 1736. Lord Baltimore reestablished proprietary authority over Maryland. WPTX in Lexington Park began to broadcast on 1570 AM. Maryland was an idea of George Calvert, First Lord Baltimore, who wanted a place where all religions were allowed to practice freely. Captain John Smith explored the area in 1608 and 1609. George Plater (1735-1792), Governor of Maryland, born at Sotterley. Here, major advances in aircraft such as the Harrier, Tomcat, and Osprey were evaluated. Public Domain, Google-digitized. 1662. Point Lookout Lighthouse built by John Donahoo. St. Mary's County, Maryland family history and genealogy books. Governor Thomas Johnson Bridge, Solomons, Maryland, April 2019. Today, only about six percent of the population works the water. P.O. A Briefe Relation of the Voyage Unto Maryland, Blackistone Island (St. Clement's Island) Lighthouse, Southern Maryland Higher Education Center, Maryland Constitutional Offices & Agencies, Maryland Executive Commissions, Committees, Task Forces, & Advisory Boards. The fleet was short of provisions, particularly fresh water, and beset by a serious outbreak of smallpox. Smugglers from Southern Maryland slipped through the night and across the Potomac River to Virginia in a game of cat-and-mouse with the Union’s Potomac Flotilla. Although no Civil War battles took place in St. Mary’s County, sympathies for the South ran high among the white population. Second Courthouse at Leonard Town destroyed by fire. Brick State House completed at St. Mary's City, replacing Country's House. His son, Cecilius Calvert, Second Lord Baltimore, inherited his estate. Naval Air Station Patuxent River opened in St. Mary's County. Philip Calvert (1626-1682) began construction of St. Peter's, largest brick structure in province. 1887, June 17. 1679. 1947. Photo by Diane F. Evartt. Catholics were not allowed to hold any political office in Maryland, which angered many in the county. Maryland was an idea of George Calvert, First Lord Baltimore, who wanted a place where all religions were allowed to practice freely. More than 3,389 Confederate soldiers died at Camp Hoffman. Marriage Records: St. Mary's County marriage records began in 1794 and are available and are extant to date. A monument in Lexington Park honors their bravery. British raid at St. Mary's River. John Pendleton Kennedy's Rob of the Bowl: A Legend of St. Inigoes, set in St. Mary's County, published. 1642. The county seat and state capital was St. Mary's City. Although the farmers and waterman have declined, St. Mary’s County is on the rise in terms of technology jobs. Many men from St. Mary’s County fought with General Smallwood against the British in New York. Order from: St. Mary's County Historical Society, PO Box 212, Leonardtown, Maryland 20650 Find Geographical Locations: GeoName Explorer This is an easy to use site for finding many places in St. Mary's County; zooming is fast, available locations listed in alphabetical order. Today, the Patuxent River Naval Air Station provides the most employment opportunities in the county. 1692, April 6. Known as Maryland's Mother County, St Mary's County's rich history connects the present with the past. After the war, St. Mary’s County’s economy went into decline and 17% of the population migrated to Kentucky and other parts west due to the availability of western land. 1669. 1831, March 8. We cover all of Charles, Calvert, and St. Mary’s Counties; along with the Southern portions of Anne Arundel and Prince George’s County. The oldest art gallery in St. Mary’s County, North End offers a diverse collection of original fine art, pottery, finished wood tables and boxes, hand-dyed silk scarves and jewelry (in beach glass, sterling, copper and stones) from more than 30 southern Maryland juried artists. General Assembly authorized lottery drawing in order to build St. Mary's Seminary. The St. Mary’s County Fair has grown into annual 4-day agriculturally oriented event with an attendance of 50,000 and participation from every segment of the St. Mary's County population. General Assembly authorized purchase of land adjoining Coole Springs in Charlotte Hall and building a hospital. In 1634 St. Mary's City, at southern Maryland's lower tip was the site of the first Roman Catholic English settlement in North America (the site is now a living history museum). 1708, Dec. 16. The British Navy continued to harass the lower part of the county. 20650 Another reason for emigration was that a large portion of St. Mary’s Countians were Catholic. Here are links to other websites where you will find more information about St. Mary’s County and our State. Charlotte Hall School renamed Charlotte Hall Military Academy, following adoption of military training and curriculum. Learn more about the history of Maryland’s first British colonial settlement and the first capital of the colony. This area became the State’s first capital, St. Mary’s City. St. Mary’s City, Maryland, is a great place to explore the early history of the state, the only predominantly Catholic British colony and a site vital to the tobacco trade that formed the heart of Maryland’s economy. A history of the Methodist churches in St. Mary's County, Maryland Family History Library All Faith Parish, St. Mary's Co., Md. Printing press of William Nuthead (1654-1695) used at St. Mary's City by this date. The St. Mary's County MD GenWeb Project, a member of The MDGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project; The USGenWeb Archives Project for St. Mary's County. The settlers moved in among the Indians who assisted them while they established their settlement. During World War II, the U.S. Navy established a flight-testing center. Historical Maps of Maryland are a great resource to help learn about a place at a particular point in time.Maryland Maps are vital historical evidence but must be interpreted cautiously and carefully.. Maryland Maps can be very useful in conducting research, especially in light of the now extinct communities. In 2000, the state government decided to decrease the amount of tobacco grown in Maryland through the “Tobacco Buyout Program”. 1657. The fleet’s target became St. George’s Island, a two square mile piece of low-lying marshland at the mouth of the St. Mary’s River. SoMDC covers every aspect of the SoMD Region and will continue to … LEONARDTOWN, MD – The St. Mary’s County Museum Division, has partnered with a local model ship aficionado and builder to install a temporary exhibit at the Old Jail Museum about the HMS Albion, the flagship of the flotilla of British ships that raided Leonardtown and St. Mary’s County during the War of 1812 Chesapeake Campaign in 1814.. 1689, July 27. Assembly claimed protections of English law; Assembly and courts met at John Lewger's St. John's. Piney Point Lighthouse St. Mary's County, Maryland - 1836 (1836**) Rights. St. Clement's Island renamed Blackistone Island. Students: you'll find info here for your reports - and don't forget to check out our "Famous Firsts" on the Stats & Facts page! The county was also home to the first Catholic Mass celebrated in the original thirteen colonies. Share on Discovering the Cartography of the Past. Many accounts agree that this is the first documented evidence of a sheriff in the United States. The establishment of the Patuxent River Naval Air Station in the 1940s has had a lasting effect on the lives of the residents of St. Mary’s County. 1945, June 16. The Archives of Maryland edition was published in 2001 by the Maryland State Archives. Tens of thousands of Confederate prisoners were held there under miserable conditions. 1774, April. 1838. The Commissioners and County Administrator’s offices will continue to answer the County switchboard 301-475-4200. Hammond General Hospital for Union Army patients opened at Point Lookout. St. Mary's County was the first county established in Maryland, in 1637, probably by an order of the Governor. 1963. St. Mary’s County Genealogical Society On March 25, 1634, Father Andrew White, who sailed with the first colonists, celebrated the first Roman Catholic Mass on St. Clement’s Island. First elections in province for delegates to Assembly ordered by Governor Leonard Calvert on Kent Island, and in hundreds of Mattapanient, St. Michael's, St. Mary's, and St. George's. British forces looted Chaptico. The name is in honor of Mary, the mother of Jesus. Governor Thomas Johnson Memorial Bridge opened across Patuxent River, connecting St. Mary's and Calvert Counties. Provincial Court authorized courthouse to be built on property of John Hammond near Leonardtown. Saint Mary's County Church Records. Maryland Revolution of 1689. Farmers who wished to participate were paid to stop growing tobacco. Where can find St. Mary’s County Birth, marriage, Divorce and Death Records? 1634-1900, by Margaret K. Fresco. Second brick Courthouse at Leonard Town completed. 1647/8, Jan. 21. This enthusiast, Robert Ballard, a retired … 1664. Union troops occupied Courthouse at Leonardtown, and camped at Sheep Pen Woods. 1862, Aug. 17. His greatest asset is his boat and a large variety of special working boats were used to fish, crab and oyster. 1676. 1645, Feb. 14-1646, Dec. Ingle's Rebellion: Richard Ingle led rebellion against proprietary government. It is near the southern tip of a peninsula formed by the Potomac River and the Chesapeake Bay. 1.5K likes. 1000-2010 Mercator. 1953, Feb. 4. U.S. Representative Benjamin G. Harris, District 5, censured for treasonable remarks by U.S. House of Representatives.