If a pet eats a toxic plant, they usually get rid of most of the toxins from their system by vomiting. These compounds are hallucinogenic and can cause extremely adverse effects in your pet. Growing honeysuckle in full sun and proper pruning will help minimize this disease problem. Best of all, ferns arenât just limited to outdoor hanging â especially since this shrub is safe for pets, non-toxic for both dogs and cats. Keep your dog away from this area or the sprayed leaves. While trumpet honeysuckle is not considered poisonous or toxic to dogs, this doesnât mean itâs safe for him to ingest. Some honeysuckle species are invasive. When consumed in little doses, these substances are harmless. However, many plants that commonly grow in gardens or containers in the home aren’t as harmless as they seem. are also not poisonous to dogs. Poinsettia is often said to be very toxic, but the potency of this plant is often greatly exaggerated. L. ×heckrottii (goldflame honeysuckle): This is one of Cookâs favorites, with âvines that bloom steadily all summer and individual flowers bigger and more flamboyant than those of trumpet honeysuckles.â The buds are carmine, but once they open, they turn rose pink with tinges of â¦ Even if the toad is already dead, or your dog drinks out of a water bowl a toad was bathing in, it is still a threat to your dog's health. This fills the intestines with gases, which causes the dog to feel pain, digestive trouble, and discomfort.